Having a variety of food from all the essential food groups provides you and your family with a balanced and healthy lifestyle. And vegetables, being one of the essential food groups provide you with a wide array of nutrients.
To prepare meals rich in vegetables, check out the following recommendations and guidelines:
1. Salad preparation:
- Serve a variety of raw vegetables to increase nutritional value.
- Make sure to serve the salads that your children like, in order to encourage them to eat it.
- Choose vegetables from all colors in order to get different nutrients like minerals and vitamins.
Examples of salads: Tabbouleh, fattoush, rocca salad, greek salad.
2. Soup preparation:
- Serve soups on a regular basis and use different kinds of vegetables when preparing it.
- Add chunks of vegetables to your soup instead of blenderizing it, in order to preserve vitamins and dietary fiber.
3. Main course preparation:
- Add vegetable pieces to main courses, since they add color and variety in taste.
- Serve cooked vegetables with your main dish: the best way to cook them is through steaming in order to preserve the nutrients.
Main courses rich in vegetables include: vegetable stew, stuffed squash, green beans with rice, mouloukhiah, cauliflower stew.
4. Children meals preparation:
- Wash vegetables, slice them in different shapes and put them in your children’s school lunch box, or add them in their sandwiches.
5. Starters preparation:
- Make vegetables a part of your starters to serve your guests. Healthy starters ideas include: chopped carrots with lemon juice, chopped cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower and cherry tomatoes.
Good to remember:
Do not forget that raw or healthily cooked vegetables help you have glowing skin, as well as helping you stay slim as part of a healthy diet.
Did you know?
All vegetables are rich in dietary fiber, which is important in digestion, regulation of intestinal function and prevention of constipation.