choose your personal experience
Everyone seems to be on a diet these days, each following a different strategy with their own tips and recommendations, adding to the confusion of which is the best plan to follow, what foods you should eat and what you need to avoid.
But the fact still remains that a balanced, high fibre, moderately low calorie, low fat diet is the best way to lose weight healthily.
So to sort out myth from scientific fact, here are a few general healthy eating tips for a healthy weight loss:
1. Eat your meals regularly and do not skip any meals, especially breakfast, since skipping meals will slow down your metabolism and make you overeat on the next meal.
2. Avoid eating on the go or in a hurry because it takes 20 minutes for your brain to determine if you’re full.
3. Keep a large bottle of water by your side to drink during the day.
4. Exercise for 60 minutes every day.
5. Go for variety! A well-balanced meal should include foods from all the essential food groups (bread and grains, vegetables, fruits, milk and dairy products, meat and legumes, and a small quantity of healthy fats).
6. Avoid foods that contain a lot of sugars and fat, since they are normally high in calories and low in nutrients.
7. Always start a meal with salad, vegetables of your choice or a bowl of soup. This will make you feel full sooner, reducing the chances of you overeating.
8. Have up to 3 fruits a day.
9. Make healthy food choices:
10. Go brown! Switch to whole wheat bread, toast, cereals or brown pasta and rice. They are higher in vitamins, minerals and fibre than their white counterparts.
11. Use oil sparingly, instead of butter or margarine.
12. Add more taste to your meals with calorie-free ingredients such as spices, herbs, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and onions.
13. Eat at least 2 hours before you sleep.
For clarifications and personalized diets, it is best you consult a dietician who is more aware of your food habits and lifestyle to provide you with a plan that fits your unique needs.
Good to Remember:
Don’t be discouraged when you slip up and eat something out of your diet plan. Instead, return to your regimen and exercise a little more to burn the extra calories you’ve consumed!
Your bio is currently empty. Now is a great time to fill in your profile.
This profile is private.
This profile is only shared with friends.
This profile is under review.
We were unable to request friendship with this user.
We were unable to request friendship with this user. Are you logged in?
Your friendship request has been sent to this user.
We were unable to terminate friendship with this user.
We were unable to terminate friendship with this user. Are you logged in?
You are no longer friends with this user.
We were unable to ignore this user.
We were unable to ignore this user. Are you logged in?
This user is now ignored.
We were unable to stop ignoring this user.
We were unable to stop ignoring this user. Are you logged in?
This user is no longer ignored.
We encountered a problem recommending this user.
You have recommended this user.
Please limit your comment length to less than 2000 characters.
What Do You Think?
Thanks for submitting your comment. It will appear after editor approval.
We were unable to post your comment to Twitter.
We were unable to post your comment to Facebook.
We were unable to post your comment to LinkedIn.
We restrict rapid posting of multiple comments for quality reasons. You have already posted a comment within the last several seconds. Please try again later.
We limit the number of comments, reviews, and postings an individual user can submit over a given period for quality reasons. You have currently reached that limit. Please try resubmitting your comment again later.
We are unable to add your comment at this time.
We are unable to add your comment. Are you logged in?
We will not add your comment until you remove the following words: .
We're sorry, but the comment you are replying to has been removed from the site.
Please let us know what you think.
Please shorten your comment to characters.
characters left character left characters must be removed character must be removed
To leave a comment, you need to sign up.
Logging in with your Facebook account
Write a reply
We're sorry. We were unable to report abuse at this time.
We limit the number of reactions an individual user can submit over a given period for quality reasons. You have currently reached that limit. Please try resubmitting your abuse report again later.
Comment is too long. Enter 500 characters or less.
You may send this to 5 e-mail addresses. Please separate each address with a space.
We're sorry, but the item you are sending has been removed from the site.
We're sorry. We were unable to send the email at this time.
Please specify a recipient.
You can only send messages to 5 addresses at a time.
The address "" is not valid.
Please specify a subject.
Score vote upvotes up vote downvotes down
Click on the menu icon to open and browse the site menu.
You can click on it from any page.
You can change how you view the site by clicking on the List icon as shown. You
are now in the Grid view.