choose your personal experience
The New Year always brings with it new plans, commitments and resolutions. The most common New Year’s resolution everyone makes is to reduce the extra kilograms that might have piled up during the previous month.
And to reach this goal, it is important for you to prepare yourself for healthy lifestyle changes that you will be making over the coming weeks and months.
To reduce your weight in the coming year, take a look at these “Golden dozen tips” from the experts:
1. Be realistic: It is essential that you have a realistic, healthy eating and exercise plan in place. Aim for a goal that is attainable. For example ½ kg – 1 kg of weight loss per week and for the best result, consult a professional in the field.
2. Plan ahead: Don't make your resolution a few days before the New Year. Instead, plan it well in advance before 31st December arrives.
3. Make a “good” and “not so good” food list: It helps when you put down on paper a list of food items that you should avoid to keep your motivation strong. Keep your list with you and refer to it whenever you need help to keep your resolve.
4. Talk about it and get your family involved: Share your weight loss plan with your family, especially if some of your family members have the same resolution, this way you’ll be more likely to stick with your weight loss plan.
5. Make your workout enjoyable: If you find an exercise routine that you truly enjoy, you will be more likely to commit to it. Remember that exercise raises your brain’s serotonin levels, which increases feelings of wellbeing and helps ward off depression.
6. Track your progress: Keep track of every small success you make toward reaching your big goal. Short-term goals are easier to keep and small accomplishments will help keep you motivated.
7. Keep a positive attitude: Be positive with your thinking and how good you will feel once you lose the excess weight. If you hit a weight loss plateau, remain confident that you will overcome this and still reach your goal.
8. Reward yourself: This doesn't mean that you can indulge in large quantities of sweets and desserts. However, celebrate your success by treating yourself to something that you enjoy once in a while.
9. Be honest about your eating habits. Keep a food journal as part of your weight loss plan and be completely honest about the foods you eat. The journal will help you keep track of the foods you are eating and give you an idea about your calorie consumption
10. Take it one step at a time: Gradually change your lifestyle like choosing low fat dairy products in the first week and then move to consuming higher portions of fruits and vegetables the second week and so on.
11. Take it slow: By gradually changing your food habits, you are increasing your chances of following these healthy changes for the rest of your life, which is important not only for weight loss but for weight maintenance too.
Keep trying: If your resolution has not achieved good results by the first 6-8 weeks, don't give up. Start over again and let a nutritionist or dietitian track your progress, motivate you and help you achieve your goal.
Good to Remember:
When following a weight loss plan, don’t deprive yourself completely; instead allow yourself a treat of your choice once or twice a week.
There's no reason you can't make a "New Year's Resolution" any time of year and the best way to keep your resolution is to plan ahead. Remember that being healthy today and following good eating habits will help you reach a healthy weight which will benefit your overall health too.
Happy New Year!
Your bio is currently empty. Now is a great time to fill in your profile.
This profile is private.
This profile is only shared with friends.
This profile is under review.
We were unable to request friendship with this user.
We were unable to request friendship with this user. Are you logged in?
Your friendship request has been sent to this user.
We were unable to terminate friendship with this user.
We were unable to terminate friendship with this user. Are you logged in?
You are no longer friends with this user.
We were unable to ignore this user.
We were unable to ignore this user. Are you logged in?
This user is now ignored.
We were unable to stop ignoring this user.
We were unable to stop ignoring this user. Are you logged in?
This user is no longer ignored.
We encountered a problem recommending this user.
You have recommended this user.
Please limit your comment length to less than 2000 characters.
What Do You Think?
Thanks for submitting your comment. It will appear after editor approval.
We were unable to post your comment to Twitter.
We were unable to post your comment to Facebook.
We were unable to post your comment to LinkedIn.
We restrict rapid posting of multiple comments for quality reasons. You have already posted a comment within the last several seconds. Please try again later.
We limit the number of comments, reviews, and postings an individual user can submit over a given period for quality reasons. You have currently reached that limit. Please try resubmitting your comment again later.
We are unable to add your comment at this time.
We are unable to add your comment. Are you logged in?
We will not add your comment until you remove the following words: .
We're sorry, but the comment you are replying to has been removed from the site.
Please let us know what you think.
Please shorten your comment to characters.
characters left character left characters must be removed character must be removed
To leave a comment, you need to sign up.
Logging in with your Facebook account
Write a reply
We're sorry. We were unable to report abuse at this time.
We limit the number of reactions an individual user can submit over a given period for quality reasons. You have currently reached that limit. Please try resubmitting your abuse report again later.
Comment is too long. Enter 500 characters or less.
You may send this to 5 e-mail addresses. Please separate each address with a space.
We're sorry, but the item you are sending has been removed from the site.
We're sorry. We were unable to send the email at this time.
Please specify a recipient.
You can only send messages to 5 addresses at a time.
The address "" is not valid.
Please specify a subject.
Score vote upvotes up vote downvotes down
Click on the menu icon to open and browse the site menu.
You can click on it from any page.
You can change how you view the site by clicking on the List icon as shown. You
are now in the Grid view.