Healthy cooking can maintain a healthy weight, provide energy and vitality, and prevent disease. Part of cooking healthy is reducing the salt in your meals, as a high salt intake is associated with high blood pressure.
Salt: an acquired taste
Salt adds flavour to your meals. It is an acquired taste and that’s why some people get used to having more salt in their food while others are used to eating foods with a low salt content. Trying to stop using salt in your dishes suddenly can result in you and your family not enjoying the taste and subsequently adding more salt.
How to reduce salt in your cooking?
- Slowly and gradually reduce the amount of salt in your cooking.
- Taste food before adding salt when you are cooking
- Limit high-salt foods you may use in your cooking such as canned, pickled products and processed meats
- Use low-salt condiments and ingredients such as light soy sauce, less salt MAGGI Chicken Bouillon…
Good to know:
When you add MAGGI stock cubes to your cooking, it provides you with the right amount of salt needed for optimal flavour of the recipe so there is no need to add more salt to your cooking.
Reduce the salt and boost the flavour…
Make your low-salt recipes tasty by:
- Using spices to enhance flavour like white or black pepper, all spices, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, curry, nutmeg.
- Adding vegetables that are naturally low in salt, such as garlic, onions, ginger and fresh pepper.
- Using natural herbs such as parsley, basil, coriander, mint and thyme as much as possible.
- Marinating food using vinegar, mustard, herbs and spices.
Spices and herbs not only add flavour and colour to your meals, they also have nutritional benefits!
Spices and herbs are not only calories, fat, and salt free, but they also contain antioxidants and phenols which are known to protect the body against several diseases.With healthy cooking and a low salt approach, you can provide your family with delicious and tasty recipes and by serving them balanced meals, you are enhancing their health not just for now but for the future as well.