During the first two months of your pregnancy, food may not have been your best friend due to the undesirable effects of nausea, tiredness and sleepiness. However, the third month of your countdown toward motherhood will usher in a positive change in the way you feel, especially when it comes to meal times.
This is because those initial uncomfortable feelings will start to decrease progressively during this month.
If you felt earlier that you were not eating properly, then this is when you can start making up for the lost time. Because from now onward you can concentrate more on having nutritious food in a structured meal pattern, i.e 3 meals and 2-3 snacks every day.
How much weight should I have gained by now?
At the end of the 3rd month, you should have gained between 0.4 and 1.7 kg. After that, your weight will start to increase at an average 0.5 kg per week!
What are the nutritional tips for this month?
- Make it a habit to eat vegetables and/or fruits at every meal. Try to reduce snacks or sweets and convenience foods which are normally high in calories and fat and low in nutrients. You should replace them with vegetables and fresh or dried fruits, which have great health benefits because they contain fibres, vitamins and minerals.
- Fluids are essential during pregnancy. You should have at least 8 glasses of water in addition to other fluids such as fresh juice (in moderation) and soups.
- Try and make it a point to have at least 3-4 glasses of milk daily or its equivalent from other dairy products (laban, yoghurt, labneh and cheese) to make sure you meet your increasing calcium needs. Milk and dairy products are also rich sources of proteins that are important for maintaining your body cells and building your baby’s body cells.
- Eat 5-6 small meals per day, instead of just sticking to breakfast, lunch and dinner. For example, have a healthy breakfast of milk and breakfast cereals, then after 2 hours eat a healthy snack such as an apple with a pot of yogurt. Follow this up in a couple of hours by a lunch that contains vegetables, some type of meat and a source of carbohydrates like boiled rice or potatoes. As an afternoon snack you can have a fresh fruit salad and for a nutritious dinner, you can have a bowl of soup with a healthy sandwich, 2-3 hours before going to bed.
- Keep on taking your nutritional supplements which your doctor prescribed to you.
Another pleasant development towards the end of this month will be your growing tummy, making it the perfect time to go shopping for maternity clothes. Step out and enjoy yourself, you definitely deserve it.