Chocolates, candies, cakes – everyone now and then loves to indulge in the delicious taste of sweets. Yes, sweets are an irresistible treat, but what do you do when you are on a weight loss diet or trying to maintain your weight? Do you crave this small piece of chocolate or cake but avoid having it?
It’s important to remember that choosing to ignore your craving for indulgence, may lead to feelings of deprivation, and in turn will make you over eat sweets at occasions, which means more calories, fats and sugars.
The solution: Eat them in moderation!
Treat yourself to sweets in small amounts as part of your healthy eating plan. As sweets are generally high in calories, make sure to account for them in your meal plan.
What you can do is:
- Have a small portion once in a while (for example, instead of having a whole chocolate bar, enjoy a small piece of your favorite chocolate)
- Balance your daily intake of food to accommodate your piece of dessert and remember not to overindulge the next day!
- Look for desserts that have less butter and cream (for example, choose sponge cake instead of creamy cake, low fat yogurt ice cream instead of regular full fat ice cream…)
- When having sweets in a restaurant… If you are having lunch or dinner in a restaurant and want to indulge in dessert after your main meal, you can split your piece of dessert with your friend, this way you’ll reduce the calories by half!
What is a small portion of sweets?
If you are on a weight maintenance eating plan, try desserts in the range of 200-250 calories and if on a weight loss diet, try to aim for a maximum of 100-150 calories from your sweets.
If you want to prepare your sweets at home, you can do it by preparing them with less fat, sugar and calories by:
- Using Low fat milk products in your cakes and puddings
- Reducing as much as possible the fat from butter and ghee when making your sweets and try to substitute them with corn, sunflower or canola oil
- Lessening the amount of sugar in your recipe by substituting with a few chunks of dates or raisins
Good to know
Did you know that a bar of chocolate with wafers is lower in calories than a full chocolate bar? So, enjoy:
- Nestlé KITKAT® (2 fingers) which contains only 107 calories
- Nestlé WAFER which contains only 125 calories.
It is always nice to treat yourself with sweets. Always be aware of the calories and account for them in your daily balanced diet. Remember to be active every day as physical activity is an important part of a healthy lifestyle.