You are coming close to the end of your pregnancy journey! One more month to go and you will be experiencing a variety of emotions, from excitement to anticipation. So as you eagerly wait for the magical moment, why don’t you enjoy this period and try to relax and rest before your delivery.
Again following the right nutrition with emphasis on variety is important for your baby, as it will also help prepare your body nutritionally for breastfeeding.
I’ve heard that omega-3 fats are important for my baby’s brain development. Do I need to take them in the form of a supplement?
A lot of research is coming out on this topic, and the importance of omega-3 in the last trimester is now established because the baby’s brain growth and development is fastest during this period and they need these healthy fats. You can get your omega-3 fats from fatty fish such as salmon and mackerel as well as some nuts, seeds and vegetables oils such as walnuts, flax seeds and canola oil. So it’s recommended to include these foods in your diet during this period and in your everyday life as they are important for your well-being too.You can also ask your doctor about the omega-3 supplements to make sure that you need them and if they are specifically designed for pregnant women.
To give you an idea of how to eat healthy during this period, here is a sample menu:
- 1 glass of low-fat/skimmed milk
- 1 ½ cup of whole-wheat breakfast cereals
- Dates or 4 pieces of dried apricots
- 1 small bowl of colored fruit salad
- ½ cup of unsalted nuts, such as walnuts and almonds
- 1 bowl of salad
- 1 to 1 ½ cup of rice or pasta or burghol or baked potatoes
- A medium piece of grilled meat (chicken, salmon, or red meat)
- A cup of low-fat plain yoghurt or laban
- 2 brown or whole-wheat pieces of toast
- 4 tablespoons of low fat Labneh and sliced cucumbers
- A bowl of lentil soup with a squeeze of lemon
- Cheese and turkey sandwich made with whole-wheat bread and filled with vegetables of choice
- 3 glasses of air-popped popcorn
- 1 small cup of low fat hot chocolate prepared with low-fat or skimmed milk.
As you can see eating healthily during this month is easy and very essential for you and your growing baby. With 7 months behind you and just a couple more to go, this is the best time to put all your efforts into getting the best nutrition possible.