One of summer’s bounties is that it provides you with a variety of colourful and healthy fruits. It is recommended to eat at least 5 servings/day of fruits and vegetables to protect yourself against different kinds of diseases. Strawberries are one of summer’s fruit which are liked by many without realizing how nutritious they are. They are rich in many vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals which have numerous health benefits.
Health benefits of strawberries:
- They are excellent source of vitamin C. In fact, one cup of sliced strawberries contains Vitamin C as one cup of fresh orange juice. Vitamin C is important for strengthening our immune system, preventing wrinkles, strengthening our vessels and for increasing the absorption of iron in our diet. Vitamin C acts also as an antioxidant that protects our cells from external damage.
- Strawberries contain a powerhouse of antioxidants and phytochemicals which are preventive from different kinds of diseases such as heart disease and cancer.
- One cup of strawberries provides you with 20% of your daily folic acid requirements -which is important for you especially if you are in your child-bearing years since it decreases the risk of delivering a baby with neural tube defects and helps prevent anemia.
- They are good source of fibre which is needed for normal bowel movements and to prevent constipation.
Good to know:
In addition to all its health benefits, did you know that 1 cup of fresh whole strawberries (149 grams) contain 45 calories only?
How to buy Strawberries?
Choose ones that are:
1. Dark red in color (no green or white colors showing)
2. Firm (not leaky)
3. Have strong sweet aroma
4. Caps should be green, fresh and intact
Store them in the fridge directly after buying covered and unwashed (not more than 2 or 3 days). Wash them only before eating.
1. An ingredient in your fruit salad
2. Fresh sliced over your cereals on breakfast
3. Blended with ice and low-fat milk-as a milk shake
4. Toppings for your cakes, puddings and pies
5. Freeze it, to consume when it’s out of season.